Tuesday, September 15, 2015

First ever status update

The current build of the game is 0.1.2.  This update was focused mostly on bug fixes with the UI and cleanup on exiting the game, and starting a new game.  It also added the ability to select the foyer, and schedule a character to be the receptionist - which will be important for the next update.

I am currently working on adding an "interview process," where visitors can come to your business and request to become employees, students or customers.  It will be worked into the event system, and involve testing your owner and/or assistants judgement skill to determine what the interviewee's skills and personality traits are.  Some people have a lower self-worth than others, so may sell themselves short, while others have an inflated self worth and may claim they are more skilled than they really are.

I have also hired an illustrator to illustrate some scenes from the "Teamsters" event, and am really excited to see the results!

Edit:  I forgot to add that in the 0.1.2 build I added some dialog to the assistant selection event which should hopefully help players figure out what they should be doing.

11 comments:

  1. Hmmm...

    Say I wanted to make the building a private harem. Would that be possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would either need some form of income or a lot of money saved up, but it is certainly possible. It would essentially be a brothel with no customers.

      Delete
    2. Oh, sweet Teemo, thank you.

      And now that I think about it, would it be possible to make, say, a haunted house-type of place?

      Both amusement-park variety as well as actual haunted house?

      What about making it so that "customers" can only witness things, but not participate, such as a play?

      Delete
    3. I absolutely planned on making performance art a possibility (singing/dancing/plays/whatever) - I didn't consider a "haunted house" in either form you mentioned (isn't that a recent thing? The amusement version, that is). As for a literal haunted house, I don't really know how that would fit into the game.

      Delete
    4. Hmm. The amusement version may be a recent thing, I'm not quite sure.

      As for a literal one, it could probably be a normal building that also happens to be haunted.

      Or your tenants could be actual ghouls and ghosts and whatnot and interlopers would be people going in on a courage test or hoping to find old antiques to steal and whatnot.

      Delete
    5. Interesting idea, but I don't know if it fits the theme of this game.

      Delete
    6. I think it can, but that's just my opinion.

      Leaving the ability for that would enable modders to build such a mod if they wished, which would be amazing, imo.

      Delete
    7. Oh, if you meant as a mod - sure. I don't think I'll be personally working on making ghoul tenants though :)

      Delete
    8. Mmm, basically my question could be said as: How open do you think the game will be?

      Any limitations on what can or cannot be done?

      How easy or difficult will it be to make mods?

      Delete
    9. That really depends on how much support the game gets. I definitely plan on making events and characters createable/moddable. Making new buildings and rooms would be difficult, but maybe doable. Making new activities for rooms or characters shouldn't be too difficult though.

      Delete
    10. That said, I plan on eventually making the game open source, so anyone could do whatever they want.

      Delete